Avoid | Deny | Defend™
During an act of violence (e.g. robbery, hostage situation, workplace violence, active shooter):
AVOID starts with your state of mind:
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Have an exit plan.
- Move away from the source of the threat as quickly as possible.
- The more distance and barriers between you and the threat, the better.
DENY when getting away is difficult or maybe even impossible.
- Keep distance between you and the source.
- Create barriers to prevent or slow down a threat from getting to you.
- Turn the lights off.
- Remain out of sight and quiet by hiding behind large objects and silence your phone.
DEFEND because you have the right to protect yourself.
- If you cannot Avoid or Deny be prepared to Defend yourself.
- Be aggressive and committed to your actions.
- Do not fight fairly. THIS IS ABOUT SURVIVAL.
- CALL 911 when you are in a safe area. When Law Enforcement arrives, SHOW YOUR HANDS AND FOLLOW COMMANDS.
With the unfortunate increase in active shooter events, various law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and Department of Homeland Security, have taken steps to help educate the public on how to increase their chances for survival if faced with an active shooter event. It is important to know how to respond in an emergency situation such as this. If you are to ever find yourself in the middle of an active shooter event, your survival may depend on whether or not you have a plan.
The Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training (ALERRT)™ Program at Texas State University has been used to train law enforcement officers across the nation in how to rapidly respond to dangerous active threat situations. In an effort to further the cause of safety Avoid | Deny |Defend™ has been developed as an easy to remember method for individuals to follow.
Remember that Failure to Plan is Planning to Fail
Sign Up for E-2 Campus Alerts
This system will notify employees, students and staff in emergency or weather-related closings.
To sign up for alerts:
- Visit www.e2campus.net/my/cisco/admin/
- Select "sign-up" and create a user account