This is a 100-hour course that includes lecture and clinical components and prepares students to take the State of Texas examination to become a Certified Nurse Aide by the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services. This program provides students with a level of knowledge, skills, theory, concepts, and abilities essential to provide safe care to the residents of long term care facilities such as bathing, grooming, feeding patients, assisting nurses with hospital equipment, and checking patient's vital signs, all under the supervision of a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) or a Registered Nurse (RN). Student will be prepared for entry-level employment in long term care facilities, doctor's offices, and hospitals.
Upon successful completion of the Texas Nurse Aide program and the state examination, students become Texas Certified Nurse Aides. Texas Certified Nurse Aides are under the jurisdiction of the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) and take the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program Exam (NNAAP).
Students must meet all of the following criteria:
- Students who have not attended Cisco College before MUST complete the Cisco College Enrollment Application
- Select the ADMISSIONS tab on the Cisco College website
- Complete the online application (List Continuing Education Non-Credit when asked, "What is your intended program/major?")
- Have earned a high school diploma, GED, or High School Equivalency Certificate
- Be a minimum of 18 years old
- Notice: We will run background checks. (Individuals with any infractions that would prohibit state certification will not be admitted to the program. If you are not sure, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before applying to the program.)
- Provide a copy of a 10-panel drug screen (Preferred place: Any Lab Test Now)
- Upload proof of the following immunizations to the CastleBranch portal:
- Hepatitis B (3 series; takes up to 6 months to complete)
- Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis (TDap: within the last 10 years)
- Mumps/Measles/Rubella (MMR; 2 series)
- Varicella (2 doses; or proof that you have had the chicken pox)
- Negative Tuberculosis Skin Test (within the last 12 months)
- Annual Flu Vaccine
- Meningococcal (all students under 22 years of age; within the last 5 years) Note: some immunizations can take up to 6 months to complete, so please plan ahead.
- Purchase uniform
- Scrub top and bottom (must be royal or navy blue)
- White shoes (leather; CANNOT be mesh or canvas)
- Watch with a second hand
- Have an original Social Security Card
- Have a government issued photo ID; name on ID must match name on Social Security Card
- Respect confidential nature of medical information
$750 (includes textbook, workbook, and background check)
$125 Certification exam
This program is 5 weeks long. Classes are held Fridays and Saturdays. Friday from 2pm - 10pm, and Saturday from 8am - 8pm at the Abilene Campus.
Please email email@example.com and request a packet. Packets will include additional information and course schedules.
What Can This Program Do For You
Certified Nurse Aide
Nursing Home Administrator
Geriatric Care Manager
Links to the following websites are provided for your convenience and information and do not constitute official endorsement by Cisco College.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics ‘Occupational Outlook Handbook’ can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
- Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, Career One Stop is a resource for career exploration, training, skill sets, wages & jobs.
Cisco College provided me with encouragement and the confidence to know that the world is in my grasp. That’s how my teachers at Cisco make me feel, that I can conquer anything.
– Latrice Gooden