History is not simply the memorization of facts and dates, rather history is a personal story of people, the choices they make, and the consequences those choices will have upon future generations. Students who choose to pursue an Associate of Arts Degree with an emphasis in History at Cisco College discuss, research, and document moments in the human story including:
- The fall of the Roman Empire
- The radical ideas of the American Revolution
- The trauma of the Civil War
- The hardship of the Dust Bowl
- The tragic assassination of President Kennedy
- The complex events of 9/11 that continue to impact our culture, politics, and daily lives
The History Department at Cisco College provides a survey of World Civilizations, American History, and Texas History guided by experienced, passionate faculty committed to fostering success through individual attention to students. Our history students transfer to a four-year college or university to advance their historical knowledge and skills. History courses at Cisco College also correspond with the requirements to transfer and attain a Bachelor's Degree from a four-year institution. Please see the Cisco College Course Catalog for detailed course information.
History Students at Cisco College acquire skills desired by 21st century employers such as:
- The ability to write and speak well
- The ability to analyze a problem and provide an innovative, workable solution
- The ability to apply knowledge and skills in new setting
- A strong sense of ethics and integrity
What Can This Program Do For You
Potential Career Paths
- National Parks Services Ranger
- Museum Curator
- International Tour Director
For more information on the types of careers you can expect as a history major please visit The American Historical Association.
Links to the following websites are provided for your convenience and information and do not constitute official endorsement by Cisco College.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics ‘Occupational Outlook Handbook’ can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
- Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, Career One Stop is a resource for career exploration, training, skill sets, wages & jobs.
Associate of Arts, General Studies - History / Political Science
Freshman Year First Semester Second Semester ENGL 1301 Composition I 3 ENGL 1302 Composition II 3
Life & Physical Science *
4 SPCH 1315 or 1321 3 HIST 1301 US History I *** 3
HIST 1302 US History II ***
3 BCIS 1305 Business Computer Applications 3 SOCI 1301 Introductory Sociology 3 MATH 1314 **** 3 Life & Physical Science * 4 TOTAL 16 TOTAL 16 Sophomore Year First Semester Second Semester GOVT 2305 Federal Government ** 3 GOVT 2306 Texas Government ** 3 HIST 2321 World Civilizations I *** 3 HIST 2322 or 2301 *** 3 ENGL 23XX 3 ECON 2302 Principles of Economics 3 Creative Arts * 3 Elective * (additional HIST preferred) 3 ECON 2301 Principles of Economics 3 Elective * 1 TOTAL 15 TOTAL 13 TOTAL DEGREE HOURS 60
* See core curriculum course options.
** Political Science Field of Study courses.
*** History Field of Study Courses.
**** Students wishing to take additional Field of Study courses should take MATH 1342.
Cisco College provided me with encouragement and the confidence to know that the world is in my grasp. That’s how my teachers at Cisco make me feel, that I can conquer anything.
– Latrice Gooden