Cisco College's Medication Aide / Correctional Medication Aide program is an eight-week course designed to establish the information and skills necessary to work in a medication aide role. Topics include:
- communication skills
- basic anatomy of body systems
- safety prevention and preparedness
- allowable and prohibited practices of medication aide
- maintenance of medication administration
- laws and rules related to the administration of medication and operation of facilities.
Students attend 4-5 hours of live instruction via Zoom, 4 days a week for eight weeks. They will also participate in 10 hours of hands-on demonstrative skills related to medication administration and 10 hours of training in a licensed facility.
Successful completion of the program is mandatory to sit for the State Certification exam or facility exam.
- Able to read, write, and speak and understand English.
- At least 18 years old.
- Free of communicable diseases and in suitable physical and emotional health to safely administer medications.
- High school graduate or have a GED.
- Employed as certified nurse aides listed on the Texas Nurse Aide Registry in active status and currently employed in a facility licensed under Texas Health and Safety Code Chapter 242 on the class start date OR employed on the class start date as non-licensed direct care staff in a facility licensed under Chapter 247; a state-supported living center or ICF/IID and have 90 days previous employment in the year preceding the class start date.
What Can This Program Do For You
Certified Medication Aide
Certified Nurse Aide
Nursing Home Administrator
Geriatric Care Manager
Links to the following websites are provided for your convenience and information and do not constitute official endorsement by Cisco College.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics ‘Occupational Outlook Handbook’ can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
- Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, Career One Stop is a resource for career exploration, training, skill sets, wages & jobs.
I have nothing but good things to say about the faculty here at Cisco College. If I ever have a question, the staff has always been right there to help me.
– Richard Bohm