Cisco College's Biotechnology program offers a Level I Certificate. Biotechnology is the manipulation of biology to manufacture products that can potentially improve the quality of human life. Examples of biotechnology include synthetic hormones, bio fuels, and pest resistant crops. Our program prepares students for entry-level positions in this rapidly growing industry. Students will receive hands-on learning and gain experience in our labs for scientific tests, experiments, and analyses.
Complete application procedure in timely manner.
Strong GPA; courses taken & passed with a "C" or better are viewed favorably.
Satisfactory High School or College records, placement tests, and other criteria.
What Can This Program Do For You
Potential Career Paths
- Biotechnology Research Assistant/Technician
- Laboratory Management and Support Positions
- Pharmaceutical Research Assistant/Technician
- Forensic Laboratory Assistant/Technician
- Federal Government Laboratory Technician
Links to the following websites are provided for your convenience and information and do not constitute official endorsement by Cisco College.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics ‘Occupational Outlook Handbook’ can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
- Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, Career One Stop is a resource for career exploration, training, skill sets, wages & jobs.
Biotechnology Technician Level I Certificate Plan
First Semester Second Semester SCIT 1414 Applied General Chemistry 4 BITC 1350 Special Studies & Biomedical Issues 3 BITC 1311 Intro to Biotechnology 3 BITC 2411 Biotech Lab Instruments 4 BITC 1402 Biotech Lab Methods/Techniques 4 BITC 2411 Molecular Biology Techniques 4 BITC 2431 Cell Culture Techniques 4 BITC 2445 Medical Biotechnology 4 BITC 1391 Special Topics - Immunology 3 TOTAL 15 TOTAL 18 TOTAL CERTIFICATE HOURS 33
Being a non-traditional student is so hard but I can’t imagine it going any better than it did with the faculty in the Science Department backing me. I formed great relationships with Mrs. Barton and Mr. Ceniceros. They both truly believed in me and pushed me when I didn’t think I could make it through each semester.
– Ashlyn Orms