The Medical Assistant is a multi-skilled health professional specifically educated to work in ambulatory settings performing administrative and clinical duties. The practice of medical assisting directly influences the public's health and well-being, and requires mastery of a complex body of knowledge and specialized skills requiring both formal education and practical experience that serve as standards for entry into the profession. The Medical Assistant program will prepare competent entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) in the following domain areas:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Infection Control
- Applied Communications
- Administrative Functions
- Basic Practice Finances
- Managed Care/Insurance
- Procedural & Diagnostic Coding
- Clinical Skills
- Ethical Consideration
- Safety & Emergency
To be considered for admission to the Medical Assisting Technology program, interested persons should:
- Apply to Cisco College
- Complete the Medical Assistant Application
- Background checks and drug screens are to be completed just prior to your last semester when you sign up for Clinicals. Please check with Program Director, Dawn Chism.
All clinical sites utilized in the program require a background check, drug screen, immunizations including a flu vaccine, and BLS certification before the student can participate in the clinical portion of the program. In addition, be advised that no credit is given for experiential learning for students seeking either a degree or certificate in Medical Assisting Technology.
What Can This Program Do For You
Potential Career Paths
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
- Clinic Manager
- Phlebotomist (with additional certification)
- Urgent Care facility staff
The Medical Assistant Certificate program at Cisco College has a job placement rate average of 75% for the admission cohort(s) that entered in 2016. The Certificate program has a 100% retention rate for the cohort entering 2017.
The Medical Assistant Associate of Applied Science program at Cisco College has a job placement rate average of 75% for the admission cohort(s) that entered in 2016. The Associate of Applied Science program has a 100% retention rate for the cohort entering 2017.
For Information regarding job outlook and earning potential for Medical Assistants, click here.
Links to the following websites are provided for your convenience and information and do not constitute official endorsement by Cisco College.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics ‘Occupational Outlook Handbook’ can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
- Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, Career One Stop is a resource for career exploration, training, skill sets, wages & jobs.
Students who successfully complete the Level II Certificate or Associate Degree are eligible to sit for the Certified Clinical Medical Assistant exam administered by the National Healthcare Association.
Cisco College provided me with encouragement and the confidence to know that the world is in my grasp. That’s how my teachers at Cisco make me feel, that I can conquer anything.
– Latrice Gooden