The Medical Assistant is a multi-skilled health professional specifically educated to work in ambulatory settings performing administrative and clinical duties. The practice of medical assisting directly influences the public's health and well-being, and requires mastery of a complex body of knowledge and specialized skills requiring both formal education and practical experience that serve as standards for entry into the profession. The Medical Assistant program will prepare competent entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) in the following domain areas:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Microbiology/Infection Control
- Applied Communications
- Administrative Functions
- Basic Practice Finances
- Managed Care/Insurance
- Procedural & Diagnostic Coding
- Legal Implications
- Ethical Consideration
- Safety & Emergency
To be considered for admission to the Medical Assisting Technology program, interested persons should:
- Apply to Cisco College
- Complete the Medical Assistant Application
- Background checks are to be completed when you sign up for clinicals, please check with Teri Brown, Health Sciences Assistant
Many clinical sites utilized in the program require a background check and/or drug screen before the student can participate in the clinical portion of the program. In addition, be advised that no credit is given for experiential learning for students seeking either a degree or certificate in Medical Assisting Technology.
About this Program
|Degrees & Certifications||Program Length|
|Associate of Applied Science Degree||Five Semesters|
|Administrative Medical Assistant Level I Certificate||Three Semesters|
|Clinical Medical Assistant Level I Certificate||Three Semesters|
|Clinical & Administrative Medical Assistant Level II Certificate||Four Semesters|
What Can This Program Do For You
Students who successfully complete the Level II Certificate or Associate Degree are eligible to sit for the certification exam administered by the American Association of Medical Assistants
Potential Career Paths
- Licensed Practical Nurse
- Medical Assistant
- Physician Assistant
- Registered Nurse
The Medical Assistant Program at Cisco College has a job placement rate average of 67.57% over the past few years. Below are Cisco College statistics for retention, placement, and exam percentages:
5 Year Period Retention 64.91% Placement 70.97% Grad Part 74.19% Grad Sat 100% Emp Part 64.71% Emp Sat 100% Exam Part 64.52% Exam Pass 60% # of Grads 31
For Information regarding job outlook and earning potential for Medical Assistants, click here.
Links to the following websites are provided for your convenience and information and do not constitute official endorsement by Cisco College.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics ‘Occupational Outlook Handbook’ can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
- Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, Career One Stop is a resource for career exploration, training, skill sets, wages & jobs.
Student Success Outcomes
- Graduates of the Medical Assisting Program at Cisco College are satisfied with the education that they receive at Cisco College as there is an average 100% graduate satisfaction rate over the past 5 years.
- 5 year average for employer satisfaction: 100%
Cisco College provided me with encouragement and the confidence to know that the world is in my grasp. That’s how my teachers at Cisco make me feel, that I can conquer anything.
– Latrice Gooden