Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination Requirements
Cisco College in compliance with Texas Education Code, Section 51.9192, Subchapter Z, as amended by the 82nd Texas Legislature, now requires the bacterial meningitis vaccination for all entering students under the age of thirty (30). Students must provide to the Cisco College Enrollment Services Office, a certificate signed by a health practitioner indicating they have been vaccinated against bacterial meningitis.
Effective October 1, 2013 the age limit was amended by the 83rd Texas Legislature (Senate Bill 62) to exempt students who are age 22 years of age or older. This applies to entering students enrolling in public, private, or independent institutions of higher education on or after January 1, 2014.
Cisco College and the Texas Education Code make these provisions applicable to entering students enrolling or transferring to Cisco College.
Acceptable Evidence of Vaccination:
- Signature or stamp of a physician or his/her designee, or public health personnel on a form which shows the month, day, and year the vaccination dose or booster was administered;
- An official immunization record generated from a state or local health authority; or
- An official record received from school officials, including a record from another state.
A student is not required to submit evidence of receiving the bacterial meningitis vaccination or evidence of a booster dose if the student meets the age exemption or if the student is enrolled only in online or other distance education courses (students enrolled in only online courses must submit the exemption form).
A student is not required to submit evidence of the bacterial meningitis vaccination if the following are submitted:
- An affidavit or a certificate signed by a physician who is duly registered and licensed to practice medicine in the United States, in which it is stated that, in the physician’s opinion, the required vaccination would be injurious to the health and well-being of the student; or
- Students enrolling in public junior colleges wishing to claim an exemption for reasons of conscience should complete the online form available at the Texas DSHS website.
After entering all the requested information, students print the form,
sign and date it, and submit the form when registering for courses. Students may obtain the form by visiting the College Vaccine Requirements page.
ALL STUDENTS REQUESTING AN EXEMPTION MUST COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING FORM AND RETURN IT TO THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE. APPROPRIATE AFFIDAVITS/CERTIFICATES MUST BE INCLUDED.
Bacterial Meningitis Exemption Form
For information and questions concerning the required bacterial meningitis vaccination, contact the Cisco College Enrollment Services Office at 254-442-5132. Documents may be faxed to 254-442-1449 or emailed to the Admissions Specialist.