The mission of the Department of Recreational Sports is to meet the needs of students, faculty, and staff members through a comprehensive campus recreation program associated with the guidelines of the National Intramural Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA):
- To promote fitness and fun through a variety of competitive and non-competitive activities.
- To educate and incorporate fitness and leisure into current lifestyles.
- To promote the development of life-long leisure skills.
- To provide a medium for which students can learn leadership, management, and interpersonal skills.
- To promote student development through employment and participation opportunities.
- To provide activities while maintaining a safe and fair environment.
- To remain accessible to all students.
- To maintain flexibility to meet the needs and requests of our students.
Our goal is to unite and bring members of the campus community together through sport and physical activity. Recreation is a unique, appealing context with which to attract and unite individuals of all backgrounds, and for these persons to share meaningful social interactions. As a vehicle for enhancing campus life, the Department of Recreational Sports serves as a retention tool among not only students but also faculty and staff by promoting a strong sense of belonging.